Lipstick is a powerful beauty tool that can transform your entire look with a simple swipe. It adds a pop of color and can enhance your natural features, making you feel confident and beautiful.
However, with countless shades available, choosing the right lipstick color can sometimes be overwhelming.
Fear not! In this article, we’ll explore some essential factors to consider when selecting the perfect lipstick color for you.
Consider Your Skin Undertone
Understanding your skin’s undertone is crucial in determining which lipstick shades will flatter you the most. Generally, undertones fall into three categories: warm, cool, and neutral.
It is important to note that undertones refer to the subtle hues underneath the skin, while complexion refers to the overall color or darkness of the skin.
If your veins appear green, your undertones are warm.
If your skin has golden or yellow undertones, opt for lipstick shades with warm tones such as coral, peach, or brick red. These colors will complement your skin’s natural warmth.
They also suit spring colors like creams, corals, soft yellows, and deep ruby red.
Here are some lipstick shades that work well for individuals with warm undertones:
- Opt for warm nude shades with peachy or golden undertones. Look for shades like caramel, honey, or warm beige. These colors will enhance your natural lip color and give a subtle, effortless look.
- Coral and Peach: Shades of coral and peach are perfect for warm undertones. Choose vibrant coral shades with hints of orange or peachy-pink tones. These colors add a pop of brightness to your lips and complement your warm complexion.
- Terracotta and Rust: Earthy shades like terracotta or rust are flattering for warm undertones. These deep, warm colors create a rich and bold look. They can range from burnt oranges to reddish-browns, giving your lips a warm and inviting appearance.
- Warm Reds: When it comes to red lipstick, opt for warm-toned reds with hints of orange or brick undertones. These shades, like tomato red or brick red, complement your warm undertones and create a vibrant and flattering look.
- Bronze and Brown: If you’re looking for a sultry, deeper shade, consider bronze or brown-toned lipsticks. These shades can vary from rich chocolate browns to metallic bronze hues. They add depth and intensity to your lips while still complementing your warm undertones.
- Terracotta Rose: Terracotta rose shades combine warm undertones with a touch of rosy pink. These colors provide a balance between earthy and feminine tones. They are great for both casual and formal occasions, adding a touch of warmth and sophistication to your overall look.
Cool undertones are characterized by a hint of blue or pink beneath the skin’s surface. People with cool undertones often have fair, light, or medium skin tones.
If you have cool undertones, the veins inside your wrist may appear bluish, and silver jewelry may suit you better than gold. It’s important to note that cool undertones differ from a cool or pale complexion. Undertones refer to the subtle hues underneath the skin, while complexion refers to the overall color or darkness of the skin.
Best Lipstick Shades for Cool Undertones:
- Classic Reds
- Berry and Plum
- Mauve and Rose
- Pink Nudes
- Lilac and Lavender
Experiment with Contrast
While cooler shades are generally recommended for cool undertones, don’t shy away from experimenting with contrasting colors. For example, pairing a cool undertone lipstick with a warm-toned outfit can create an intriguing and eye-catching effect.
Lucky you! Neutral undertones allow for greater versatility, as you can pull off a wide range of lipstick shades. Feel free to experiment and find what you love best, from nude pinks to true reds.
Neutral undertones mean that you have a balance between warm and cool tones in your skin.
Here are some lipstick shades that work well for individuals with neutral undertones:
- Rose Pink: Rose pink is a versatile and flattering shade that complements neutral undertones. It’s a soft and feminine color that adds a touch of warmth to your lips without overpowering your complexion.
- Mauve: Mauve is a beautiful and sophisticated color that suits neutral undertones perfectly. It’s a blend of pink and purple with a subtle cool undertone, making it a versatile choice for both casual and formal occasions.
- Nude with Pink Undertones: Opt for nude shades with a hint of pink. These colors enhance your natural lip color and provide a soft and subtle look. Look for shades like dusty rose or pinky-beige.
- Peachy Beige: Peachy beige shades are flattering for neutral undertones. They have a warm undertone with a touch of peachy-pink, creating a fresh and natural look. This color is great for everyday wear and pairs well with a variety of makeup looks.
- Berry Tones: Berry tones, such as raspberry or cranberry, are excellent choices for neutral undertones. These shades have a balance of warm and cool tones, making them versatile and flattering on a range of skin tones.
- Classic Red: Neutral undertones can carry off classic red lipstick with ease. Look for a true red shade that isn’t too warm or cool. This timeless color adds a bold and confident touch to any look.
- Muted Coral: Muted coral shades are a great option for neutral undertones. They have a mix of warm and cool tones, creating a harmonious balance. This color adds a fresh and youthful vibe to your makeup look.
Consider Your Hair Color
When selecting a lipstick color, considering your hair color can help create a cohesive and complementary look. The goal is to find shades that harmonize and enhance both your hair and lips. While there are no strict rules, certain guidelines can assist you in choosing the perfect lipstick color to match your hair. Here’s a helpful guide to pairing hair color with lipstick shades:
Soft, Natural Blond: For a subtle and natural look, opt for nude shades with pink undertones, such as light pinks, rosy nudes, and peachy hues. These colors add a touch of warmth and freshness to your complexion.
Platinum or Ash Blond: Cool-toned lipstick shades work well with platinum or ash blond hair. Consider mauve, dusty rose, or light berry shades to create a lovely contrast that brings out your hair color’s coolness.
Golden Blond: Complement your golden blond hair with warm lipstick shades like coral, peach, or warm pink. These colors enhance the warmth in your hair, creating a harmonious and radiant look.
Dark Brunette: Dark brunettes can experiment with various lipstick colors. Classic reds, deep berries, and plums contrast sharply against dark hair, adding depth and intensity to your overall look.
Light to Medium Brunette: Opt for nude lipstick shades with warm undertones. Colors like caramel, terracotta, and warm browns enhance your hair color’s richness and create a natural, effortless effect.
Copper Red: Complement your copper red hair with warm lipstick shades. Look for shades that have warm, earthy undertones, such as brick red, burnt orange, or rusty hues. These colors bring out the natural beauty of your red hair.
Auburn or Burgundy: For a captivating and elegant look, consider lipstick shades with deep berry undertones. Shades of plum, wine, and dark berry work harmoniously with auburn or burgundy hair, creating a striking combination.
Classic Black: Black hair pairs beautifully with bold and vibrant lipstick shades. Opt for deep reds, plums, or berry shades that provide a contrast against your dark hair, adding drama and sophistication to your overall appearance.
Blue-Black: Blue-black hair can be beautifully enhanced with cool-toned lipstick shades. Mauve, berry, or even deep purples create a captivating contrast that complements the intensity of your hair color.
Gray or Silver Hair
Soft Gray: Soft gray hair can be enhanced with nude shades that have cool undertones. Consider light pinks, mauves, or dusty roses to add a touch of color and freshness to your look.
Silver or Platinum Gray: Silver or platinum gray hair offers an excellent opportunity to experiment with bold and vibrant lipstick colors. Deep reds, fuchsia, or even vibrant pinks can create a stunning contrast and add a youthful pop to your appearance.
Consider Your Eye Color
Choosing a lipstick color that complements your eye color can create a harmonious and balanced makeup look. By selecting shades that enhance the natural beauty of your eyes, you can create a striking and cohesive appearance. While there are no hard and fast rules, here are some suggestions for pairing eye color with lipstick shades.
Nude and Mauve: Soft nude shades with a hint of pink or mauve undertones can create a delicate and feminine look that enhances blue eyes. These colors allow your eye color to take center stage while providing a subtle touch of warmth.
Coral and Peach: Coral and peachy shades can create a beautiful contrast against blue eyes, making them appear even bluer. Opt for shades that have warm undertones, as they will complement the coolness of your eye color.
Berry and Plum: Deep berry or plum shades can create a captivating and dramatic effect when paired with blue eyes. These rich, jewel-toned colors add depth and intensity to your makeup look, making your eyes pop.
Warm Browns and Terracotta: Warm brown lipstick shades can bring out the earthiness of green eyes, creating a natural and harmonious look. Consider shades like terracotta, cinnamon, or caramel, which provide warmth and complement the green tones in your eyes.
Berry and Burgundy: Rich berry and burgundy shades can create a striking contrast against green eyes, making them appear more vibrant. These deeper shades add depth and intensity to your makeup, emphasizing the captivating beauty of your eye color.
Rose and Mauve: Soft rose and mauve shades provide a subtle and romantic touch that enhances green eyes. These colors add warmth without overpowering your eye color, creating a soft and elegant look.
Nude and Pink: Nude shades with pink undertones can provide a fresh and natural look that enhances the warmth in brown eyes. Opt for soft pink nudes or dusty rose shades, which create a subtle pop of color without distracting from your eye color.
Bronze and Copper: Warm metallic shades like bronze and copper can beautifully enhance the depth and richness of brown eyes. These colors create a captivating and alluring effect, adding depth and dimension to your makeup look.
Deep Reds and Berries: Deep reds and berry shades can create a stunning contrast against brown eyes, making them appear more vibrant. These bold colors add intensity and drama, accentuating the natural depth of your eye color.
Determine the Occasion and Desired Look
. Different events call for different vibes and styles, and your lipstick color can play a significant role in completing your makeup look. Here are some considerations to keep in mind when selecting a lipstick color for different occasions:
Casual Daytime Events
For casual daytime events, you may want a natural, effortless look that enhances your features without being too bold. Opt for lipstick shades that provide a touch of color while maintaining a soft and fresh appearance. Some options include:
- Nude Shades: Neutral nude shades, such as soft pinks, light browns, or rosy nudes, create a subtle and polished look that’s suitable for everyday wear.
- Sheer Lip Colors: Lipsticks with sheer or tinted balms offer a subtle hint of color while keeping your lips moisturized. Choose shades that enhance your natural lip color, providing a natural, effortless look.
- Soft Pink or Peach: Soft pink or peachy shades add a touch of brightness and freshness to your lips, giving you a youthful and casual appearance.
Formal Evening Events
Formal evening events provide an opportunity to go for a more glamorous and sophisticated look. Consider lipstick colors that make a statement and complement your overall ensemble. Some suitable options include:
- Classic Red: A timeless choice, a classic red lipstick exudes confidence and elegance. It adds a bold and glamorous touch to your makeup, making it ideal for formal events.
- Deep Berry or Plum: Deep berry or plum shades create a striking and sophisticated look. They add depth and intensity to your lips, making a statement while still maintaining an air of refinement.
- Muted Rose or Mauve: For a softer and more romantic look, opt for muted rose or mauve shades. These colors provide a subtle pop of color without being overpowering, creating an understated elegance.
Special Occasions or Parties
Special occasions and parties offer a chance to be more playful and experiment with bold colors and finishes. Depending on the theme or vibe of the event, you can choose from various options, such as:
- Bold and Vibrant Hues: If the occasion calls for a fun and lively atmosphere, consider bold shades like hot pink, electric coral, or vibrant oranges. These colors add a pop of energy to your makeup and make a statement.
- Metallic or Shimmer Finishes: Metallic or shimmering lipsticks can add a touch of glamour and sparkle to your overall look. They are particularly suitable for parties or evening events where you want to shine and catch the light.
- Unique and Trendy Colors: Special occasions allow experimenting with unique and trendy lipstick colors. From unconventional shades like blue, green, or purple to ombré or gradient lip looks, feel free to showcase your creativity and personal style.