What exactly is pumpkin pie spread? It can be whatever you want it to be. Take some apples and eat it like a dip or grab a slice of bread in the morning and use it as a pumpkin butter.
With fall being here officially, it is a no better time than now to make all things pumpkin. The best part about this recipe is it can all be made in ONE single blender.
I love making my own dips to bring to Halloween parties because most of the time, there won’t be a single dip without dairy. My favorite thing to do is just put this dip out and let people eat it and praise how good it is, and only after it is finished do I inform people of it being vegan.
Listen I’m going to be upfront with you; this recipe calls for maple syrup. Use it if you want to or don’t use it, I don’t care, and I’m not here for a debate about if maple syrup is vegan or not. Some vegans think taking syrup from trees (which are considered living and growing ) to be harmful, but that is just such an absurd thought to me. I’m not going to elaborate on it anymore. Either we take it, animals eat it, or it will stay in the tree to die.
Things Needed For This Recipe At A Quick Glance
(Scroll Down For Measurements+Directions)
Amount:This makes about 2 1/2 cups.
Diet Restrictions: This dip is Paleo, Vegan, Gluten-Free, and Whole30 Approved!
Total Time: 5 – 10 minutes
Nutrition: I am not a nutritionist, therefore, I find it irresponsible of me to break this recipe down in terms of calories, fat grams, sugars, etc. If you look at the back of the packaging you can do that yourself but I don’t want to be responsible for your diet and am not trained to do so. I’m only here to give you yummy recipes.
- You can use real pumpkin or pumpkin puree from a can. If you use real pumpkin make sure you whisk it to be as thick as what you would get from a can.
- You want the consistency to match hummus or pumpkin pie, if it is any thinner you might have blended it too long.
- I use a bit of Vegan cream cheese in the recipe but you can opt to leave this out for a more true, nutty taste. You could also use vegan whip cream if you want some sweetness added to it but don’t like vegan cream cheese.
- If you’re using a real pumpkin make sure you don’t’ have seeds stuck in pumpkin you puree, the seeds will change the taste.
- You can add in dark chocolate chips to give it a bit of a chocolate, sweet dessert taste. Do this step last in a bowl and don’t do it in the blender.
- If you don’t buy roasted nuts you can toast them in an oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 7-10 minutes or until brown. Burning the nuts will leave a burned taste in the dip.
- 2 1/2 cups fresh roasted pumpkin Or See Below
- 2 1/2 cups Can Pumpkin
- 1/4 cup vegan cream cheese or vegan whip cream
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Sprinkle of salt
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup, optional – leave out for Whole30
- Sprinkle of dark chocolate chips – optional
- Place all liquid ingredients on the bottom of the blender first.
- Add in spices
- Add in soild ingredients
- Blend until smooth. This should only take about 2-4 minutes. You want it creamy, not liquidy.
Fresh Pumpkin Tips
If you choose to use fresh pumpkin you will want to start with preparing that. Follow these simple steps before you start this recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Cut and deseed a large, fresh pumpkin.
- Rub skin with coconut oil and place it on parchment paper on top of a baking sheet.
- Bake 45 minutes to an hour plus depending on your oven. Mines new so it only takes 30-45 minutes but my oven is under a year old. Take out, let cool a bit.
- The skin should peel right off of the pumpkin itself. You can use a knife to cut the edge of it isn’t coming off nicely in sheets.
Remember if you don’t have time to use a fresh pumpkin use a can, no shame in being a busy person. However, anytime you use fresh ingredients it will dramatically alter the freshness of your recipes. Putting TLC into what you make will give you more back for your belly and taste buds.[su_divider divider_color=”#fcdcf5″ size=”2″ margin=”5″]