Makeup setting sprays are a real game-changer for those who love wearing makeup of any kind, have it be a full fashion face or a face with basic foundation mimicking a more natural look. Having the proper setting spray can allow your makeup to stay all day long without having to touch any of it up.
Before we jump into the best setting sprays, it might be helpful to know what a setting spray is and how it works.
- 1 Best Setting Sprays At A Quick Glance
- 2 Best All-Around – Urban Decay Up All Night
- 3 Best Fast Drying Setting Spray –MORPHE CONTINUOUS SETTING MIST
- 4 Best For Oily Skin – Final Seal- Matte Makeup Sealer
- 5 Best For Dry Skin – Tatcha Luminous Dewy Skin Mist
- 6 Best Drugstore Pick – L’Oreal Paris Makeup Infallible Pro-Spray & Set Makeup Extender Setting Spray
- 7 Best Vegan Setting Mist – N3 No Name Necessary Dewy Scented Extreme Long Lasting and Hydrating Anti-aging Makeup Setting Spray
- 8 Up Next: Similar Reads
Best Setting Sprays At A Quick Glance
Best Vegan Setting Spray
Best Fast Drying Setting Spray - Makeup Artist Approved
My Favorite - Best All Around Setting Spray
My Favorite - Best For Dry Skin
What is a setting spray?
The setting spray, also referred to as finishing spray, is a makeup product that holds your final makeup look in place. Essentially it is like hairspray for your face.
When should a setting spray be used?
A setting spray should be used whenever you want your makeup to stay all day long for events like weddings, parties, a long workday or any other day of long activities where you won’t get a chance to touch up your makeup.
A setting spray can be used every day, and can especially be beneficial in warmer months to protect your makeup from harmful sun UV rays. It can help those who sweat easily in warm temperatures and can be beneficial for those who struggle with oily skin.
Do you use setting spray before or after foundation?
After! The product that should be used before a foundation is called primer.
Can you use a hairspray as a setting spray?
Good question, but no! Hairsprays are not designed to be inhaled and can be very harmful to the inside of the body.
Hairsprays can contain parabens, sulfates, and other ingredients that are going to be harmful to your skin, which can cause breakouts and irritation.
Can rose water be used as a setting spray?
Again the answer is no. Rosewater should be used after you take your makeup for the day as a refresher spray, or in place of foundation as a dewy look. Putting rosewater over foundation will cause spots or make the foundation look like it’s running.
What is the best setting spray?
Below we won’t just go over the single best setting spray, but we will go over the best 6 settings sprays!
Best For: All Skin Types
How long it lasts: 16 hours.
Special Features: Has temperature control technology that helps regulate the face’s skin temperature which can be beneficial in both warm and cold temperatures. This helps prevent it from melting and helps in cold, or windy conditions.
Reviews Have Said:
- I have used this for years and it’s still great! I have tried other setting sprays but seem to come back to this one.
- I have menopause and this setting spray is a real lifesaver for me.
- All I really have to say is that I love this stuff. It works!
Best For: All Skin Types. It can be used on liquid or powder makeup.
Ingredients: Rosa centifolia flower extract which is a skin conditioning agent.
Known For: Its amazing smell, fast drying time, and fine mist.
Reviews Have Said:
- Love this setting spray for its drying time, better than MAC, Elf, others from Ulta, etc. I use MAC for everything but you can’t beat this Morphe setting spray, it really is that good.
- Love the smell of this setting spray! It reminds me of a perfume for my face that also helps hydrate it.
- This setting spray leaves a bit of a dewy look which I love! I haven’t had skin glow like this since I was pregnant.
- This lasts me all throughout my workday which is sadly usually 10-12 hours. Who says you can’t look hot while also getting work done.
Best For: Oily skin or those who move, and perspire during the day. Great for those who want to wear makeup during a workout.
Ingredients: This spray is alcohol-based which makes it great for oily skin since alcohol is a drying agent.
Scent: Fresh mint, which isn’t overpowering.
Reviewers Have Said:
- I was in the search for heavy-duty finishing spray and when I saw workers at Disney use this I had to get it! I was not disappointed and it will help your makeup stay during a whole night of hot, salsa dancing!
- I wasn’t sure about the mint smell but once I had it one I understood why people are addicted to it.
- I have sensitive skin and this didn’t irritate it or make me break out, helped my makeup stay through a wedding in the hot Georgia sun.
- I have been dealing with makeup transfer onto my clothes for years! Every time I would change at the gym I had to bring a second shirt to change into. This not only solved my makeup transfer issue, but it has saved my laundry each week by half since I no longer need to change into a second shirt.
Best For: Dry skin.
Ingredients: The reason why this is so great for dry skin is because this product is formulated with 20% botanical oils for a dewy look. A few key ingredients include Okinawa Red Algae and Hyaluronic Acid for intense hydration. Mix that with Tatcha’s signature anti-aging superfood trinity, Hadasei-3 and you have yourself a setting spray that works for you and with your skin!
Known For: This product is dermatologist tested which means you can wear this with confidence you are protecting the quality of your skin. Known for helping with dryness, dullness and great for those with fine lines and wrinkles!
Reviewers Have Said:
- Be careful with how much you use. This is a moisturizing product for a reason, and a smaller amount should be used off the bat. Add more if you need it but honestly, you only need a pea-sized amount or smaller.
- I love this product times a million. I will even use it without makeup to just set my face for the day and keep it hydrated.
- I use this to level out the PH in my skin with my makeup.
- I use this in both my professional makeup kits and personally on myself. I do bridal makeup for weddings and I get more compliments on this face setting spray than anything else!
This setting spray only needs to be used once after you apply your makeup, but you can also use it throughout the day to give yourself a freshly done makeup look. There is no better feeling than looking at yourself after you just got your makeup professionally done, and this is like a makeup artist in a bottle.
Best For: All skin types!
Ingredients: This product is very similar to the Urban Decay setting mist, but with a better price tag, and this is because they have similar ingredients.
Known For: Its quality. Compared to other drug store level setting sprays, this one doesn’t leave the users face sticky or wet.
Reviewers Have Said:
- If you go off of the results, smell, and longevity this is identical to the Urban Decay setting spray. The only difference is the bottle. I personally like the UD spray bottles so I dump this drugstore product into the UD spray bottle and it is perfect!
- Fun-flipping-tastic I am telling you this stuff is the bomb and I won’t use anything else.
- Really increased the overall wear of my makeup.
- I saw this product with hundreds of reviews over multiple different online sites, so I had to give it a try. Really glad I did!
Best Vegan Setting Mist – N3 No Name Necessary Dewy Scented Extreme Long Lasting and Hydrating Anti-aging Makeup Setting Spray
Best For: Any skin type. 91% of those with dry skin loved this setting mist and said it helped hold their makeup longer.
Ingredients: Ingredients used in here help makeup from fading, sliding, melting, or sweating off.
Known For: Being beneficial to those with combination skin. You can spray this all over your face or just choose to use it in the T zone to help hold in places where you only sweat.
Reviews Have Said:
- This have saved my makeup on days when the temperature gets above 90.
- I love pairing this with a setting powder to make a contoured look on my face.
- This setting mist is very cool and refreshing. It helps regulate the temperature of the makeup on my face throughout the day.
- Surprised by how the smell really stands out and was a pleasant bonus to this product I already love.