- 1 Wet Hair Vs. Dry Hair
- 2 The Hair Science
- 3 Damage Done When Straightening Wet Hair
- 4 How To Fix Damage Done From Straightening Wet Hair
- 5 Hydrating Argan Oil Mask – In Shower Conditioning Treatment
- 6 ENJOY Conditioning Spray – Leave-in Conditioning Treatment
- 7 Keratin Complex Keratin Care Shampoo and Conditioner Duo
- 8 Approved Wet Hair Straightening Products
- 9 Revlon One-Step Hair Dryer
- 10 Steampod 2.0 Straightener Pack + Serum + Fortifying Repair Shampoo!
- 11 Final Thoughts
My Favorite Products To Fix Damaged Hair Caused By Straightening Wet Hair At A Glance:
Best Damage Repair + Shine Spray
Best Budget Repair Product
My Favorite - Best Tea Tree Shampoo + Conditioner
Best Biton Damage Repair Shampoo + Conditioner Duo
If you are in your bathroom with wet hair up in a towel, phone out in your hand and you just googled this then thank your lucky stars. Long story short you SHOULD NOT EVER straighten or putt any hot tools to your hair until it is 100% dry!
If this answer suits you then thanks for stopping by, however, if you would like to learn more about why you shouldn’t use hot tools on wet hair and what you can do instead, then keep on scrolling down! Knowledge is power at the end of the day, and knowing why something is the way it is will help prevent you from wanting to do it in the future.[su_divider divider_color=”#fcdcf5″ size=”2″ margin=”5″]
Wet Hair Vs. Dry Hair
The easiest way to think of hair in its different forms is to think of it as a piece of paper. When the paper is dry, it is solid, firm, durable, and hard enough to be written on. This same piece of paper when wet becomes weak, brittle, soft, and if you try to write on it, then it will rip, and the pencil will go through the paper.
The Hair Science
Hair is made up of a protein called Keratin, which is what makes it strong, firm, and durable. An outside layer called cuticles covers this Keratin and protects it like armor protects a knight. Essentially you have a bond that is a protein + protein.
Once you get your hair wet this hard bond softens and it turns into a weaker bond that is a protein + hydrogen. A more fragile bond is easier to damage becuase it has lost its protective outer cuticle layer aka the armor!
Wet Hair Bends + Stretches = Compromised Strands
When hair is wet, it is 30% longer vs. when it is dry. This is because wet hair has water absorbed into the open cuticle, thus filling spaces acting as fillers, which makes the hair longer. The hair length appears longer at a glance and in actuality is longer physically.
When your hair starts to drys the water evaporates thus reclosing your cuticle and your hair “shrinks” back down to its actual length.
Why does the hair length wet vs. dry matter? Well because it goes to show you that wet hair is compromised making it act like a broken rubber band. When you comb your hair when it’s wet, it stretches but doesn’t have the ability to bounce back.
Now imagine the damage you can do when you are applying a heat tool to an open cuticle? You are most likely going to use a comb or brush which will stretch your hair strands out and then you are applying a straightening tool that heats up over 100 degrees. Doing both of these things are asking to do irreversible damage because you are directly altering the inner working of your hair strands. The cuticle will begin to lift, crack which means the cuticle can’t fully close even when your hair is fully dry; which is also known to all as frizz. See how it comes full circle Simba.[su_divider divider_color=”#fcdcf5″ size=”2″ margin=”5″]
Damage Done When Straightening Wet Hair
If you are still thinking about straightening your wet hair, maybe give it one more though and let me try to convince you one more time. You can’t necessarily see all the damage that is done but the damage is still there.
Basic problems you might be dealing with daily are a direct result from straightening wet hair and they include things such as:
- Split Ends
- Dead Ends
- Thinning Hair
- Dry Hair
- Overstressed Hair
When you take a straightener to wet hair you can actually boil water inside the cuticle which causes burns and blisters to the inside of your hair. This results in damage and in most cases, your hair will break and fall off at the spots of where the blisters appear.
When you use a flat iron on wet hair it causes flyways and frizz to be produced. You will end up using your straightener when your hair is fully in the hopes of trying to tame these down. This will only cause more frizz to occur which as you can see begins a never-ending cycle.[su_divider divider_color=”#fcdcf5″ size=”2″ margin=”5″]
How To Fix Damage Done From Straightening Wet Hair
If you have been straightening wet hair and want to know how to fix and repair the damage that is already there, then I suggest checking out the products below.
You will want to use a weekly deep conditioning treatment because it will penetrate into the hair shaft and help fix your hair from the inside out.
A leave-in conditioning spray will also help strengthen and protect your hair from everyday styling damage.
If you use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner duo it will help repair dry hair and will keep your locks looking healthy, shiny and fresh. A healthy scalp is a key to growing full, healthy hair.
This hydrating hair mask is a product you will want to use in the shower. Simply apply it after you wash your hair, leave it in for 5-10 minutes and then rinse it out.
It contains argan oil, nutrients and other essential vitamins that help replenish dry and damaged hair.
You should do a hair mask at least once a week, and for really bad damage I suggest doing this 3 times a week until the damage is repaired.
This mask is great for any hair type and will repair, restore and strengthen.
Reviewers Have Said:
- This is by far the most beneficial product I have used in my hair yet!
- have been using Arvazallia for the last 3 years – I have found nothing else that works as immeasurable as this. My hair was damaged pretty bad from all of the years of dying/bleaching it. My hair was very thin and brittle that running a brush through my hair was causing it to break. Me and my fiance spent hundreds of dollars at salons/spas and purchasing products to try and repair my hair but they failed. After using Arvazallia for just the first time I noticed that it already started helping my overall hair.
- The product smells excellent – I think you get an immeasurable amount of product since I still have a lot left after using globs of it each time I go in the shower. My hair appears silky and smooth.
Other Suggested Shower Hair Masks / Deep Conditioning Treatments:
- Sheamoisture Manuka Honey &Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Treatment Masque
- Shiseido Tsubaki Premium Repair Hair Mask
- Kenra Nourishing Hair Mask
This product works as a repair leave-in conditioning treatment but it also works as an all-day protectant. If you have colored hair this helps close the cuticle which will also help prevent your color from fading.
Use this after you get out of the shower; spray it all over and brush it throughout your hair to evenly distribute it.
This spray will moisturize your hair which helps prevent frizz and flyaways.
Reviewers Have Said:
- I’ve been using this leave-in conditioner for years now! I have pretty dry hair and currently can’t really afford expensive shampoos/ conditions that are supposedly less drying to your hair, so I have been using this to fill in the gap.
- First off, it smells so fresh? I’m always getting compliments on the scent. Second, I spray this on after I wash my hair and it leaves my hair super soft! When you add heat to it, it leaves hair shiny and it seems to make my hair stay straighter longer too.
- This product is a magnificent detangler/moisturizer/protectant all in one
Other Suggested Leave-in Conditioners:
- Tea Tree Lavender Leave-in Treatment
- Kenra Daily Leave-in Treatment
- Honest Company Leave-in Conditioner
Keratin is a protein that helps hair strength and using a keratin shampoo and conditioner set will help add more protein back into your hair thus making your hair healthy.
Using this duowill not only improve your hair health but it will give it an overall smoother appearance.
Keratin products are always recommended for those who use hot tools and for those who color their hair.
Reviewers Have Said:
- used this set for at least three months and noticed a difference! My hair looks/feels healthier, it’s growing out, and I haven’t noticed as many splits ends as before using this.
- I have a keratin treatment done to my hair regularly and this is the only shampoo and conditioner that I will use with the treatment. It was recommended by my hair professionally. I’ve never done anything else since getting the treatment.
- I swear by this stuff. I have searched forever for something that works for me. Nothing works long term without making it oily, dry or leave a residue. Been using this for a while now because the bottle lasts endlessly. worth the price. My 12-year-old and 3-year-old daughters also use it.
Other Suggested Keratin Shampoo + Conditioner Duos:
Approved Wet Hair Straightening Products
While you should never take a straightener to wet hair you can purchase certain blowdryer products that can straighten your hair while you dry it. I love using these because they are an easy way to dry and straighten your hair at the same giving you a blowout salon look.
This Revlon one step hairdryer is a game changer and I love using it on days I wash my hair. It is such an easy alternative to a typical two-step process of blow drying and then straightening my hair.
With this tool, you straighten, brush and dry your hair all at the same time. Since it has a big barrel it gives you tons of volume and the bristles on the product produce a bunch of shine.
You know a product is good when it has an almost 5-star rating with over 9,101 reviews!
Reviewers Have Said:
- I have curly hair and I’ve seen the professionals even mess up when blow-drying hair, but with this product I was astounded!
- This is the greatest thing since sliced bread! I’ve put off buying something like this for years, finally, I gave in with a surpassing deal of trepidation. I shouldn’t have waited..I mean it cut hair drying time in HALF-it’s SO easy to use.
- Dry in record time and looks naturally straight-I can’t wait to dry my girl’s hair after a nighttime bath or shower. I never write reviews but thanks to the magical thing I had to.
Other Blowdryer + Straightening Products I Suggest:
- One Step Hairdryer and Volumizer
- Hot Air Brush
- Multifunctional Electric Hot Air Round Brush Blow Dryer
If you are looking for more of a flattened straight look I suggest looking into:
It is never a good idea to take a straightener to wet hair. I suggest either scheduling more time into your daily routine so you can blow-dry and then straighten your hair or invest in a 3 in 1 blowdryer product. Remember when you are using products that allow you to straighten hair when it is “wet” they actually mean damp, towel-dried hair. You always want to ring out any moisture from your hair before you even begin to brush it.